16th September 2022
Thank you to all the parents who came for the Meet the teacher meeting. I hope that it was helpful. for those of you who were unable to attend I have put the power point slides on the class page below so that you have access to the information. If you have any queries please contact me.
Phonic reading books are now being sent home. A letter was sent out explaining the new reading scheme system and this information is under the class letter part of this website. In brief each child will have a reading for pleasure book sent home plus a phonic reading scheme book. One is for you and your child to enjoy the other is to practice their reading at home with you.
This week in class we have been writing captions for the pictures in our English books for the very first time. The children have been marvelous especially as they had so much to remember such as using full stops and capital letters, writing on the line, spelling words. You will be able to look at their wonderful work when you come to school for parents evening.
Just some quick reminders:
Please label their belongings I am already starting to accumulate lost property.
Every child needs a water bottle at school filled with water not juice. The children do have access to water through out the day and I will fill any empty bottle during the day. We provide a fruit snack every day but sometimes it is a fruit that your child might
I am not told which fruit we will receive. If your child would like a healthy snack please pack one in their bags and they can have this at break time. Please be aware we are a nut free school so please check the snack you send in does not contain nuts.
Your child's phonic reading book and reading record needs to be in school every day so that we can hear your child read.
Hope you have a good weekend and I will see you all on Tuesday.
10th September 2022
The Year One children have settled wonderfully into their new class. It has been a busy week with learning all the new routines and they have coped so well. We have started our English work looking at the story of Charlie and Lola and in Maths we have been looking at position, direction and describing turns. Also, we have explored maps of the United Kingdom learning the names of the four countries that make it up. In science we began our topic of animals and started to look at how to group them.
Obviously with all this hard work the children were very tired by the end of the week. Homework was sent home on Thursday and needs to be returned on Tuesday morning. Every child went home with their reading record and a book to read for pleasure that they had chosen themselves. This is not their reading scheme book but one for you to share and enjoy reading together.
Just a quick reminder that PE is on Monday and Tuesday and the children need to come to school in their PE kit. The weather is very changeable at the moment, so please could you ensure that they have the appropriate footwear and outdoor clothing. Please make sure that every item of clothing etc is clearly labelled as I already have some lost property that is not named. Healthy snacks can be brought in, but fruit is available in the classroom daily. It is a different every day, but I cannot guarantee that your child will like the fruit delivered.
If you have any queries or worries, please contact me via the office or after school. If it is urgent in the morning, please speak to the member of staff on duty that morning on the playground who will pass a message to me.
Hope you have a lovely weekend and I look forward to seeing you next week
Homework 8th September
Curriculum overview (Autumn 1)
Welcome to Class One
I hope you have had a fantastic holiday and enjoyed the extremely hot weather. I am looking forward to meeting you all on Monday 5th September and have lots of exciting things planned for this term.
Our class trip will take place on the 29th Septemeber when we will be visiting Paradise Wildlife Park as part of our science topic to investigate and further our knowledge on animals. This will involve a workshop as well as being able to visit the zoo and dinosaur park.
Have a look at our curriculum overviews on this website to see the different things we will be learning. We will look at maps in Geography, read lots of different books in English as well as learning to read and write and in Maths we will be learning to add and subtract.
For your information these are some reminders to make out start to the year smooth and successful.
- PE Kits - Children need to come dressed in their PE kit on the day of their PE session. Please ensure they wear appropriate warm clothing and footwear clearly named as they will be undertaking PE outside.
- PE days are Monday and Tuesday afternoons. PE will start on Tuesday 6th Septemeber
- Homework will be sent out on Thursday to returned the following Tuesday. A homework book will be given to each child in a wallet along with their reading record and book. Please ensure that the homework when completedis signed by an adult.
- Water bottles - Please send your child with a clearly named water bottle for their own use. Please make sure that it is only filled with water and not part of their packed lunch. Bottles will be returned home daily so you can clean them but will be refilled as necessary during the day for the children.
- Reading at home- The expectation is for children to read at home daily or a minimum of three times per week. We are starting a new phonic and reading programme of which more details will follow.
- Reading Records- Every child will have their own personal reading record. Please sign the reading record everytime you hear your child read. Books will be changed on Tuesday and Friday but cannot be changed unless you have signed to say your child has read.
- Uniform- We all know how expensive uniform can be and it would be helpful if your child's uniform is clearly labelled so that we can return any lost items quickly.
- Spellings - We have a spelling programme called Ladders, Trains and Rockets which helps the children learn to spell the National Curriculum key words. Every child will receive a booklet of ladders with key words to learn. The children are expected to learn one or two ladders per week and are tested individaully in school. They move on to the next ladder when they can spell all of the words. If it is only one word they have mispelt then they learn the next ladder and that word for the following week. This will be indictaed on the booklet. When they get to the end of a set the children receive a certificate. They will only be tested once a week on the ladders set.
If you have any concerns or querries please do not hesitate to contact me. You can leave a message with the member of staff who is on duty first thing in the morning on the playground. You can also contact me via the office who will pass on a message.
Finally I would like to say thank you in advance for your support as it make all the difference to the children's learning.